ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons travel from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their demise.
When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, people may lose the ability to speak, eat, move and breathe. The motor nerves that are affected when you have ALS are the motor neurons that provide voluntary movements and muscle control.
At ASC Treatment (ASC), we understand the devastating effects caused by ALS, and are dedicated in providing ALS patients a better quality of life. ASC has had years of experience employing innovative techniques in treatment of ALS. The focus on regenerative medicine in treating the disease sets ASC apart from conventional medical practices. At ASC, a professional medical team trained in the knowledge and understanding of ALS and stem cell treatments will provide care to those who enlist our services. Those under the care of our certified medical doctors will receive the best standard of care as is the core value of ASC.
ASC prides itself in prioritising the Safety and Efficacy of all product lines used in our treatments. The stem cells we employ in regenerative medicine treatments are no exception. Your own mononuclear derived stem cell (MDSC) will be used in our stem cell treatments as they have demonstrated, through their excellent safety track record, exceptional safety profiles and remarkable efficacy. All manufactured stem cell products are also quality assured with multiple safety standards in place:
- Therapeutic Goods Administration Compliant – All manufacturing and use of the MDSC product is compliant with regulations by the Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia where the products are primarily produced.
- Lloyds insurance – All instances of your MDSC’s production and administration is insured for product quality, possible adverse effect and malpractice of medical team.
- External laboratory sterility testing – Each and every MDSC products must be screened by a third-party testing laboratory, and the product will only be released for administration after the sterility test has been cleared.
- High cell count – Every production generates between 200 ~ 500 million stem cell which is 5x to 10x greater than any competitor products, meaning more repairs and regeneration.
- Autologous Your MDSC products are cultured from your own blood. This provides assurance that the cells are 100% compatible with the patient’s body and are therefore able to recognise all the inflammation signals produced by the body to carry out the necessary repair and regeneration. This will also eliminate the risk of possible rejection.
- Multi-lineage differentiation capability – MDSC are superior to existing stem cells being used as they can differentiate into more than one type of cell. MDSC have demonstrated the ability to differentiate into endothelial and neurological cells. This indicates that they are effective in dealing with ALS which is the result of progressive neuronal loss.
Our treatment strategy
Recent research efforts have been poured into regenerative medicine, and the use of stem cells to slow the progression and in hope of reversing ALS. University of South Florida (USF Health) has identify the key development of ALS patient is deterioration of the blood-spinal cord barrier and degeneration of motor neurons. Based on the above research and our product characteristic, we are able to formulate a treatment strategy to slow the progression of ALS.
Damages to the blood-spinal cord barrier
- MDSC also shown high differentiation capability towards endothelial cells which is the primary cells which makes up the blood-spinal cord barrier.
- MDSC CD markers for endothelial cell CD31 (93.69%), CD54(54.2%), CD144(7.83%)
Degeneration of motor neurons
- Ability to repair and differentiate into neurological cells
- Your MDSC contains high levels of neurotrophic factors (NTFs) which are potent survival factors for neurons :
- BDNF: Brain-derived neurotrophic factor
- NT-3: Neurotophin-3
- CNTF: Ciliary neurotrophic factor
- GDNF: Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor
- EGF: Endothelial growth factor
Our treatment procedure is streamlined and has flexibility to accommodate any patient requirements.
Post treatment follow up
- ALS-FRS: Evaluation the improvement of ALS-FRS by questionnaire before, 1 month, 3 months and 6months after cell transplantation.
- FVC: Evaluation the improvement of FVC by spectrometry in patients before, 1 month, 3 months and 6months after cell transplantation.
- EMG: Evaluation the improvement of EMG by electromyograph before, 3 months and 6months after cell transplantation.
What can I expect from MDSC treatment?
Our patients have reported the following benefits and improvements post stem cell treatment
- Muscle cramps and spasms
- Excessive salivation
- Sleep problems
- Bladder control